Back Garden Plants

6/18/16

Autumn fern
     There are several other shade plants growing in the back garden besides the hostas and heucheras I posted about last week.  The Autumn fern (Dyopteris erythrosora) pictured at right is one of three planted in the garden.  This is the first time I have planted this fern.  I am hoping it will be at least semi-evergreen in the winter here as I've been told.  I decided to give it a try since I wanted something in this fairly bare spot in the garden all winter.  I like the orange or copper color of the new fronds.

Black cohosh

     Along the fence I planted five black cohosh (actea racemosa, formerly cimicifuga racemosa).  This is another new plant for me.  I wanted something against the eight-foot fence that runs along most of the back yard.  I have read that the whispy plumes of tiny, star-like flowers can grow up to eight feet tall, and that the seed pods can be attractive as winter interest in the garden.  I am anxious to find out if the flowers can be as unpleasantly scented as I have read.

Brunnera macrophylla

     There are six Brunnera macrophylla, or Siberian bugloss, in the garden.  Brunneras are one of my favorite shade plants, not only for their tiny, lacy blue flowers in  the spring, but also their large, heart-shaped leaves that last till frost.

    
Hellebores

     There are a few hellebores on the side of the back garden that is near the forested flood plain.  There is a whole field of hellebores there outside the fence that I planted years ago.  I was surprised to see when we bought this house again, that some of the seeds from that area had made it over the fence.

Hardy begonia

     I received two hardy begonias (Begonia grandis), a winter hardy begonia to zone 7, at my garden club plant exchange this May.  I planted them on the somewhat empty edges of each side of the back garden.  I love the plants large mounds of often red-veined, heart-shaped leaves and delicate pink flowers that bloom in August-September.

     There are a few more plants and several bushes in the back garden that I will post photos of next time.  Happy Father's Day to all the dads and father figures.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a dry shady area. I just added cohosh to the garden, too and I have self-seeded brunnera, too. These are tough plants that should thrive. I'm looking forward to the cohosh really getting huge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a dry shady area. I am finding that the cohosh need water every 7 to 10 days if it doesn't rain hard enough under the trees.

    ReplyDelete