Seedling Surprise

Thumbelina (dwarf) zinnia seedlings

4/28/11
     All the flower seeds I planted a month ago have emerged into neat rows of seedlings, except the blue dianthus.  Not one of those has shown up.  I am assuming they are going to be no shows.  One of my marigold seedlings has just bloomed.  I am anxious to see if my zinnia and cosmos will be able to survive the summer heat.

A week ago I happened to spot something that suddenly appeared at the edge of my garden that I did not plant.  At first I thought it was ice plant that perhaps blew over from my neighbor's yard.  I let it be to see what would come.  And lo and behold, a red portulaca flower appeared.  I did plant one portulaca last spring, but ripped the plant out in the fall after it had stopped blooming to replace it with a pansy.  Apparently it reseeded itself even though it is considered an annual.  I better check under that pansy to see if there are some seedlings growing under it.  The pansies are dying off now in the heat anyway.


surprise seedling
    
Portulaca (moss rose)




No comments:

Post a Comment