Side Garden Additions

6/12/13
side yard garden

     The side garden is starting to fill in as I have added more plants over the last two weeks.  I'll be adding a few more annuals and perennials over the next few months as I watch the plants grow and see how much room is still available.  Here are photos of what I've recently added.








glossy abelia
     Glossy abelia is a deciduous or semi-evergreen shrub that has rounded, gracefully arched branches.  It can grow six feet tall or more, has glossy green leaves, and blooms from mid-summer to autumn with fragrant, funnel-shaped, white flowers tinged with pink.  I have never had an abelia in any of my yards.

oriental fountain grass Karley Rose
     On each side of the garden I have planted the oriental fountain grass Karley Rose.  It has graceful, fluffy flower spikes.  It can grow two to three feet and blooms from June to September.  This is a new grass for me.

gallardia Arizona Sun

yellow foxglove
     A gardening friend gave me some yellow foxglove.

goldenrod
     The same friend also gave me some goldenrod. I don't know the species as there are over 50 species.  It has bright yellow flowers that bloom late summer into fall.  It is sometimes considered a weed, but many insects interact with goldenrod, uncluding bees, butterflies, and moths.

salvia
      I filled in some space with annuals like red salvia.

marigolds


zinnias

coreopsis grandiflora
     Although supposedly deer-resistant, like everything I have planted in this garden, I presume the deer sampled the flowers which are missing off the top of this coreopsis and the zinnias.

roses
      For the past two weeks, roses have been blooming all over the neighborhood.  The rose bushes in my back garden have bloomed also.  I have no idea what kind they are.  The rose bushes were here when we moved in in February.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the abelia fan club, Lana. Keep on planting. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lee. I am sure I will enjoy it. You keep on planting too.

      Delete
  2. I love abelia! I have it in my garden. It's a beautiful, easy shrub. I also have Karley Rose. It likes to be moist and your gaillardia needs sharp drainage and likes to be a bit dry, as does the coreopsis. This bed is off to a great start. It's going to be beautiful. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will enjoy the abelia. Karley Rose reminds me of the purple fountain grass I grew in Arizona that I loved . It was perennial there, unlike here.

      Delete