Just Getting Started

4/12/14
tulips

     I was so tired of the cold and snow after that last unexpected snowstorm two weeks ago that I bought a pot of tulips at the grocery store.  Finally all this week we  have had warm weather in the 60's and 70's.  What a treat!  Blooming is slowly getting started here.  Everything seems to be two weeks or more late.  The Bradford pear trees and magnolias in the neighborhood  finally bloomed about five days ago.

      Here are some photos of what has emerged in my garden so far.











My first daffodil bloomed a week ago.

The first hyacinth bloomed a week ago also.

This primrose is in full bloom.

The Brunnera macrophylla are coming along nicely.  I have four of them in the garden.

The sweet woodruff has emerged.  I have three clumps of these in shady areas of the back garden.

Also appearing is the first fern.

The tulip garden is taking its time and still not in bloom.

This branch on one of my Yoshino cherry trees is just about ready to burst onto bloom.

     In the next day or two,  the cherry trees will bloom, most of my daffodils will open, and hopefully a tulip or two will show up.  I am hoping that the possible frost/freeze for the middle of this week doesn't materialize.

2 comments:

  1. Your fern looks like an astilbe. :o) Our Yoshino blooms have already come and gone and I'm hoping the garden isn't damaged too much when it hits 29 tonight. Your primroses are fabulous! I have white cowslip that hasn't bloomed yet. Your brunnera is also bigger than mine, too. You're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. That is a photo of an astilbe. There is a fern right next to it. I downloaded the wrong photo into the blog. That' what happens when you try to do a blog at 1:00 am. I am surprised your Yoshino blooms are already gone.

    ReplyDelete